The Dallas Cowboys may not be finished reshaping their roster. Just one day after Dallas agreed to a one-year deal with veteran pass rusher Von Miller, head coach Brian Schottenheimer made an intriguing comment about the Cowboys’ plans.
While praising the roster he inherited, Schottenheimer made it clear the front office is still willing to make additions. “I love our roster. I mean, I really do. I think, you know, we’re a talented roster,” Schottenheimer said Monday. “We’re way different on paper this year than we were last year.”
But Schottenheimer followed that praise with a statement that should get Cowboys fans’ attention. “But we’re not done,” he said. “We’re not done developing our players. We’re not done getting the young guys ready to go. We’re not done potentially adding pieces. But I love our roster.”
That is a significant distinction. Schottenheimer is not simply talking about developing the players already in the building. He specifically mentioned the possibility of adding pieces to the roster.
Cowboys are still evaluating their roster
The timing of Schottenheimer’s comments makes them even more interesting. Dallas had just added Miller, a future Hall of Fame pass rusher with three Super Bowl appearances and a long track record of producing pressure.

The move gave the Cowboys another veteran presence alongside a young group that includes Donovan Ezeiruaku, Sam Williams, Malachi Lawrence and others. Yet Schottenheimer made it clear that Miller does not represent the end of the Cowboys’ roster-building process.
That does not necessarily mean Dallas has a blockbuster move lined up. There is nothing in Schottenheimer’s comments that identifies a specific position, player or potential transaction.
However, the coach’s wording confirms that the Cowboys remain willing to explore the market. And that is worth watching as roster decisions approach.
Stephen Jones adds more context to speculations
Cowboys COO Stephen Jones offered a similar perspective when discussing Miller’s arrival. “You can’t have enough rushers in this league,” Jones said.
Jones then highlighted the depth Dallas already has, mentioning Ezeiruaku, Lawrence, James Houston and Sam Williams along with Miller and the rest of the group. “We’ve got a good group of guys,” Jones said.
Jones’ comments do not amount to a hint that another pass rusher is coming. Instead, they reinforce the Cowboys’ belief that having plenty of options along the defensive front is valuable over a long NFL season. Still, his comments fit with Schottenheimer’s broader message: Dallas is not treating the current roster as a finished product.
What could be coming next?
This is where the speculation begins. If the Cowboys ultimately add another player, it could be a relatively minor depth move. NFL teams routinely make late additions as players become available and roster competitions develop.
But Schottenheimer’s comments make one thing clear: the Cowboys are still looking at ways to improve.

His statement that they are “not done” and are “potentially adding pieces” is considerably more direct than simply saying the team is evaluating its young players. Currently, there is no evidence that Dallas is preparing for a blockbuster acquisition apart from Jones and Schottenheimer’s statements.
But after adding Miller, the Cowboys have once again shown that they are willing to make moves when they believe a player can improve the roster. And according to their head coach, the roster-building process is not over yet.








